Car Seat Safety
Car Seat Installation Guidelines
The car seat installation experience is an interactive one. You should leave confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly, comfortable reinstalling and using it correctly. To ensure that you have the best experience you should prepare for an education.
- If expecting a child, schedule an appointment 1 to 2 months prior to Mom’s due date.
- If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height.
- If your child is already born, bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Using the Child Car Seat instructions, install the seat into your vehicle prior to your appointment.
- Look up “Child Safety Seats” in your Vehicle Owner’s Manual. You will learn how a child’s car seat should be installed in YOUR car. The Car Seat Manual may not reference the requirements specific to your vehicle.
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the Technician install the car seat. They’re trained to teach you, NOT install it for you.
Schedule an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact:
Child Safety Technician
Please bring the Car Seat Instructions AND the Vehicle Owner’s Manual to your appointment!
If you live outside of San Pablo, here are additional resources to find a nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technician near you:
- Find a tech in your area using the official search engine of the national CPS Certification Program. Search by location, language or special needs training.
- Safe Kids Coalition events - Safe Kids coalitions are local organizations that lead their communities in reducing child injury. Safe Kids Buckle Up events are offered across the country.
- NHTSA - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains a directory of many inspection stations.
The San Pablo Police Department is a member of the John Muir Health Child Safety Coalition. Our Child Passenger Safety Technicians are certified through Safe Kids Worldwide.