Business Start-Up Resources

EDC City Temp Banner JPG med.jpg


If you're thinking of starting a business in San Pablo, or if you already own a business in our community, it's good to be aware of the resources available to you as well as the regulations of local, county, state and federal government agencies.

The listings below represent some of the agencies and organizations frequently utilized by existing and new businesses. Please contact the agencies directly if you have questions.

The following Business License Forms and Information are available online for your convenience in Adobe PDF format or call (510) 215-3030 for more information:

Business License Fee/Tax Schedule
Business License Application Form
Apartment Business License Application Form

Alcoholic Beverage License
If you want to sell alcoholic beverages from your business, you must obtain an Alcoholic Beverage License through the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, 1515 Clay St # 2208, Oakland, CA 94612-1404 (510) 622-4970

Business License
All persons conducting a business in the City of San Pablo are required to have a City of San Pablo business license. The City of San Pablo Municipal Code requires all businesses to pay a business tax, but such payment does not authorize an applicant to do business in the City. All businesses must comply and continue to comply with all laws of the city, including but not limited to its zoning, building, planning, fire, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and subdivision regulations.

City of San Pablo - Neighborhood Services, 13831 San Pablo Avenue, Building 3 - San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 215-3030

Fictitious Business Name Statement
If you will conduct business under a name other than your legal name, you will need to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement with the County Clerk’s Office.

County Clerk’s Office, 555 Escobar Street, Martinez, CA 94553 (925) 335-7900

Fire Inspections
A fire inspection is required on the business location. Contra Costa County Fire District (925) 930-5541

Health Permit
A health permit is required for businesses that dispense food to the public. A permit is needed before opening or issuance of a business license and is available through the County Health Department.
County Health Department, 2120 Diamond Blvd, Suite 200, Concord, CA 94520 (925) 646-5225

Sales & Use/Seller's Permit
If you sell tangible property in California, you must apply for a Seller’s Permit.
Board of Equalization, 2101 Webster Street, Oakland, CA 94612 (800) 400-7115 or (510) 622-4100

City of San Pablo Building Division
Information on Building Permits and Inspections. Building permits are required for both new construction and most remodeling projects. (510) 215-3030

City of San Pablo Planning Division
Information on Zoning, the City's General Plan, Development Applications, Subdivisions, the Design Review Process and Use Permits. (510) 215-3030

Employer Registration
If you hire employees, you must register with the State Employment Development Department within 15 days after employees are hired.

Employment Development Department
3478 Buskirk Avenue, Suite 215, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-4694 (925) 977-8265

Worker’s Compensation
State legislation requires proof of valid current workers’ comp certificate of insurance or self-insurance. Not required if you do not have employees.
Department of Industrial Relations, 2229 Webster Street, Oakland, CA 94612 (510) 286-1358

Better Business Bureau
1000 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94607-4042 (510) 238-1000

Contra Costa Business Development Center
2425 Bisso Lane, Suite 200 (Concord) (925) 646-5377

San Pablo Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 6204, San Pablo, CA 94806 (510) 234-2067

SCORE - Counselors to America's Small Business
(800) 634-0245

U.S. Small Business Administration
455 Market Street, 6th Floor (San Francisco) (415) 744-6820

West Contra Costa Business Development Center
334 11th Street (Richmond) (510) 236-3690

County Tax Collector's Office
625 Court Street, Suite 100, Martinez, CA 94553 (925) 646-4230

Federal Income Tax (IRS)
Information on employee withholdings, self-employment tax, sole proprietorship, partnership and corporate taxes.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
(800) 829-1040

Small Business Workshops (Free)
Internal Revenue Service, Taxpayer Education, 1301 Clay Street, Suite 1520 - South Tower, Oakland, CA 94612 (510) 637-2473

State Income Tax/Corporate Income Tax (Franchise Tax Board)
Every business in the State of California is required to submit an annual tax statement to the Franchise Tax Board. 1970 Broadway Street, Oakland, CA (800) 852-5711