Click for more information:
- Housing and Rental Assistance
- Tenant Protections
- List of Affordable Housing Units in Contra Costa County
- Home Repair and Improvement Programs
- First-Time Homebuyer Programs
- Services for People Experiencing Homelessness
- City of San Pablo Affordable Housing Strategy
- Active Housing Projects
- ADU Grant Program | CalHFA
- Housing Element Update
Housing and Rental Assistance
CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program
The program provides financial assistance for rent and utilities to income-eligible California renters and their landlords who have been impacted by COVID-19. Income-eligible applicants may qualify regardless of immigration status and will not be required to show proof of citizenship.
Apply now by phone 833-430-2122 or online https://housingiskey.com
Foreclosure Intervention and Loan Modification
If you or someone you know is struggling with mortgage payments, there are resources available to help you. Community Housing Development Corporation provides free services as part of the National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling Program created by the United States Congress.
Call: (510) 412-9290 or (707) 652-7861
California COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act
Notice: Regardless of where a renter lives, landlords cannot evict tenants for nonpayment of rent in California unless the landlord goes to court first and obtains an official eviction order. Simply getting an "eviction notice," also known as a "pay or quit" notice, from a landlord is not enough to evict a tenant.
If a tenant receives a pay or quit notice from a landlord after Oct. 1, and the tenant has not yet applied for the rental assistance, it's recommended that the tenant:
- Apply for rental assistance immediately. For tenants who receive an eviction notice, you may still be eligible for additional eviction protections, as long as you apply for rent relief within 15 days of receiving the notice
- Immediately fill out the California Declaration of COVID-19 Financial Distress Form and provide it to your landlord.
- Inform your landlord immediately in writing that you have applied for rental assistance.
- Seek legal help. See below for a list of local nonprofit legal services helping renters through this process.
Legal Resources for Tenants
- Website: www.echofairhousing.org
- Phone: 855-275-3246
Bay Area Legal Aid
- Website: https://baylegal.org/
- Legal Advice Hotline: 800-551-5554
Centro Legal de la Raza
- Website: www.centrolegal.org/drop-in-clinics/
- Phone: 510-437-1554
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
- Website: www.ccsls.org/
- Phone: 925-609-7900
211 Contra Costa
- Website: https://cccc.myresourcedirectory.com/
- Phone: 211
List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County
- Click here for a list of Affordable/Subsidized Rental Units List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County - Provided here is a list of known affordable or subsidized multiple family rental units in Contra Costa County. Please call each building manager for the application or waiting list procedures.
- Click here for interactive Affordable Rental Housing Map List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County - Interactive web application to find affordable rentals in Contra Costa County
- Click here for Contra Costa County Housing Authority List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County - The Housing Authority of the County of Contra Costa provides rental subsidies and manages and develops affordable housing for low income families, seniors and persons with disabilities in Contra Costa County.
Home Repair and Improvement Programs
Residential Health & Safety (RH&S) Inspection Program
- Establishes procedures for the inspection of all single and multiple-family residential non-owner-occupied units, and all dwellings sold within city limits.
- Helps ensure the City's units comply with existing state and local building, electrical, fire and plumbing code standards
- Helps ensure structures are safe for occupancy, and that housing stock is maintained to acceptable standards.
For more information, call 510-215-3030 or RHS@sanpabloca.gov
Neighborhood Preservation Program (NPP)
The County offers funds to low income homeowners for home improvements.
- Up to $15,000 in grants for repairs
- Up to $70,000 in low interest loans
For more information call 510-803-3388 or visit www.habitatebsv.org/services/home-repair/contra-costa-county
Click here for the application
The County offers technical and financial assistance for home energy efficiency improvements for low income households and seniors on fixed income. For more information call 925-674-7214 or visit www.cccounty.us/weatherization
First-Time Homebuyer Programs
- SPLASH is a loan program that the San Pablo EDC created with the City
- It’s a shared appreciation loan that prioritizes teachers and first-responders
- The loan may be up to 20% of the cost of the home not to exceed $100,000
- Principal and appreciation are paid at the end of term of the loan, at the time of a refinance or at the time of the sale of the home, whichever comes first.
For more information visit http://www.sanpabloedc.org/SPLASH
WISH San Pablo Economic Development Corporation First-Time Homebuyer Loans
- WISH is the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco’s Workforce Initiative Subsidy for Homeownership
- Low-income households, individuals, and families may receive a 4-to-1 matching grant of up to $22,000; Provide $5,500 & receive $22,000
- WISH grants can be applied to down payment and closing costs.
- Must be owner-occupied residence for five (5) years for forgiveness
For more information call 510-215-3200 or visit www.sanpabloedc.org
Contra Costa County First Time Homebuyer Counseling
Free counseling services available through ECHO Housing. For more information call 510-581-9380 or visit www.echofairhousing.org
Mortgage Credit Certification Program for First-Time Homebuyers
- The MCC provides qualified first-time homebuyers with a federal income tax credit to reduce monthly mortgage payments.
If interested, contact an approved lender available at www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/41403/MCC-Approved-Lender-List?bidId=
Services for People Experiencing Homelessness
Call 211 or Text “HOPE” to 20121
- Free, confidential service available 24/7
- Callers will be matched and referred to appropriate program
Walk into a Care Center:
- Richmond (GRIP) -165 22nd St
- Case management: M-F, 9am - 3pm
- Current Services: Basic needs services (meals, bathrooms, showers, mail, laundry), lunch served (inside or to-go) 7 days/week, housing navigation
- Walnut Creek (Trinity Center) - 1888 Trinity Ave
- Case management: M-F, 8am - 4pm
- Current Services: Basic needs services (meals, bathrooms, showers, mail, laundry), breakfast and lunch served inside with social distancing enforcement, case management, housing navigation
City of San Pablo Affordable Housing Strategy
Active Housing Development Projects
Site: Former Civic Center at 13831 San Pablo Avenue (STATUS: UNDER PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT)
Proposal: Affordable Housing Mixed-Use Development consisting of 100 units of multi-family affordable housing with residential services and approximately 10,000 square feet of commercial retail space on the ground floor; One commercial space reserved for a San Pablo local business at 15% below market rent; the Alvarado Adobe building (a 1976 replica of the original California landmarked adobe house built on this site in 1842) will remain on-site with specific CEQA mitigation measures in place, and will be re-purposed (through consultation with the San Pablo Historical & Museum Society) to an allowable and permissible use under the City’s Zoning Code and approved disposition and development agreement.
Benefits: Create new construction and local retail jobs; Blume House, Bunk House and Teixeira House remain in City ownership and use; Provide sale proceeds of $6.8 million to City to sustain vital City services due to COVID-19 impacts
Developer: Danco Communities
Current Stage: This development project is still in the early stages. The image below is a draft concept for the site and is NOT a final project design and is subject to substantial review by the City and Planning Commission.
Site: Block E near Chattleton Ln & Church Ln (STATUS: UNDER PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT)
Proposal: Development of no less than sixteen (16) for-sale market homes, including one (1) home that will be income-restricted for sale to a "lower-income" household. The site will also include two (2) public parks within the proposed subdivision adjacent to the City’s new Wildcat Creek Restoration and Trail Project.
Benefits: Provide homeownership opportunities; Create new construction jobs; Provide sale proceeds of $550,000 to City to sustain vital City services due to COVID-19 impacts
Current Stage: This development project is still in the early stages. More information about the proposed design and project details will be posted as it becomes available.