Housing and Rental Assistance
San Pablo COVID-19 Housing Assistance Grant
- Applicant must reside in the incorporated City of San Pablo (City Map)
- Applicant must have experienced a loss of income due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Applicant needs help with rent, mortgage or utility payments
- Applicant’s total household income does not exceed limits below:
|Number of people per household and income limits|
CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program
The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program is designed to help low-income Californians through the payment of unpaid rent to landlords. Funding for this program comes from the $2.6 billion in federal rental assistance. The program serves income eligible renters who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and have past due rent as well as landlords who have experienced a loss in income because of unpaid rent.
- Landlords who have income-eligible renters experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 with past due rent.
- Renters who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19, have past due rent or utilities, and have a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income
Click here to learn more and apply now or call the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center: 833-430-2122
Foreclosure Intervention and Loan Modification
If you or someone you know is struggling with mortgage payments, there are resources available to help you. Community Housing Development Corporation provides free services as part of the National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling Program created by the United States Congress.
Call: (510) 412-9290 or (707) 652-7861
Contra Costa County COVID-19 Eviction and Rent Moratorium Effective Through June 30, 21
California COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act
Legal Resources for Tenants
- Website: www.echofairhousing.org
- Phone: 855-275-3246
Bay Area Legal Aid
- Website: https://baylegal.org/
- Legal Advice Hotline: 800-551-5554
Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
- Website: https://www.ccsls.org/
- Phone: 925-609-7900
211 Contra Costa
- Website: https://cccc.myresourcedirectory.com/
- Phone: 211
List of Affordable Housing in Contra Costa County
- Click here for a list of Affordable/Subsidized Rental Units - Provided here is a list of known affordable or subsidized multiple family rental units in Contra Costa County. Please call each building manager for the application or waiting list procedures.
- Click here for interactive Affordable Rental Housing Map - Interactive web application to find affordable rentals in Contra Costa County
- Click here for Contra Costa County Housing Authority - The Housing Authority of the County of Contra Costa provides rental subsidies and manages and develops affordable housing for low income families, seniors and persons with disabilities in Contra Costa County.
Home Repair and Improvement Programs
Residential Health & Safety (RH&S) Inspection Program
- Establishes procedures for the inspection of all single and multiple-family residential non-owner-occupied units, and all dwellings sold within city limits.
- Helps ensure the City's units comply with existing state and local building, electrical, fire and plumbing code standards
- Helps ensure structures are safe for occupancy, and that housing stock is maintained to acceptable standards.
For more information, call 510-215-3030 or RHS@sanpabloca.gov
Neighborhood Preservation Program (NPP)
The County offers funds to low income homeowners for home improvements.
- Up to $15,000 in grants for repairs
- Up to $70,000 in low interest loans
For more information call 510-803-3388 or email HomeRepair@HabitatEBSV.org
Click here for the application
The County offers technical and financial assistance for home energy efficiency improvements for low income households and seniors on fixed income. For more information call 925-674-7214 or visit www.cccounty.us/weatherization
First-Time Homebuyer Programs
- SPLASH is a loan program that the San Pablo EDC created with the City
- It’s a shared appreciation loan that prioritizes teachers and first-responders
- The loan may be up to 10% of the cost of the home not to exceed $50,000
- Principal and appreciation are paid upon end of term of the loan, refinance or sale of the home.
For more information visit http://www.sanpabloedc.org/SPLASH
WISH San Pablo Economic Development Corporation First-Time Homebuyer Loans
- WISH is the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco’s Workforce Initiative Subsidy for Homeownership
- Low-income households, individuals, and families may receive a 4-to-1 matching grant of up to $22,000; Provide $5,500 & receive $22,000
- WISH grants can be applied to down payment and closing costs.
- Must be owner-occupied residence for five (5) years for forgiveness
For more information call 510-215-3200 or visit www.sanpabloedc.org
Contra Costa County First Time Homebuyer Counseling
Free counseling services available through ECHO Housing. For more information call 510-581-9380 or visit www.echofairhousing.org
Mortgage Credit Certification Program for First-Time Homebuyers
- The MCC provides qualified first-time homebuyers with a federal income tax credit to reduce monthly mortgage payments.
If interested, contact an approved lender available at www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/41403/MCC-Approved-Lender-List?bidId=
City of San Pablo Affordable Housing Strategy
Active Housing Development Projects
Site: Former Civic Center at 13831 San Pablo Avenue (STATUS: UNDER PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT)
Proposal: Affordable Housing Mixed-Use Development consisting of 100 units of multi-family affordable housing with residential services and approximately 10,000 square feet of commercial retail space on the ground floor; One commercial space reserved for a San Pablo local business at 15% below market rent; the Alvarado Adobe building (a 1976 replica of the original California landmarked adobe house built on this site in 1842) will remain on-site with specific CEQA mitigation measures in place, and will be re-purposed (through consultation with the San Pablo Historical & Museum Society) to an allowable and permissible use under the City’s Zoning Code and approved disposition and development agreement.
Benefits: Create new construction and local retail jobs; Blume House, Bunk House and Teixeira House remain in City ownership and use; Provide sale proceeds of $6.8 million to City to sustain vital City services due to COVID-19 impacts
Developer: Danco Communities
Current Stage: This development project is still in the early stages. The image below is a draft concept for the site and is NOT a final project design and is subject to substantial review by the City and Planning Commission.
Site: Block E near Chattleton Ln & Church Ln (STATUS: UNDER PRELIMINARY DEVELOPMENT)
Proposal: Development of no less than sixteen (16) for-sale market homes, including one (1) home that will be income-restricted for sale to a "lower-income" household. The site will also include two (2) public parks within the proposed subdivision adjacent to the City’s new Wildcat Creek Restoration and Trail Project.
Benefits: Provide homeownership opportunities; Create new construction jobs; Provide sale proceeds of $550,000 to City to sustain vital City services due to COVID-19 impacts
Current Stage: This development project is still in the early stages. More information about the proposed design and project details will be posted as it becomes available.